“To judge faith by vulgar caricatures of religious faith that would make a first year theology student wince is like judging science by eugenics, nuclear warheads and chemical pollutants.”
Let’s take the biggest star we know of – Canis Majoris – and compare it to earth. Remember – this is JUST one star and ONLY the biggest one we know of.
– It is 7 quadrillion times larger than earth – a quadrillion is 1000 million million.
– If we replaced our sun with Canis Majoris the surface of the star would reach Saturns orbit (Saturn being a planet further out from the Sun than earth – past Jupiter)
– Light takes more than 8 hours to travel around the star’s circumference – it only takes 8 minutes for our sun’s light to reach Earth.
Assuming a speed of 3 miles per hour for 8 hours a day – how big is it:
– it would take 2 years 11 months to walk around the earth
– it would take 310 years 7 months on the Sun
– it would take 665,000 years to walk around Canis Majoris
Remember – this is only 1 star.
Here’s a video on how big it (and God is).
Laminin is a base protein that holds us together. From Wikipedia: “the structural scaffolding of basement membranes in almost every animal tissue”.
The Jesus in-joke is what it looks like – click here.
Science can’t cure what ails us. We can already feed the world’s population – we just don’t. Science cannot cure selfishness, greed and the darkness in a man’s soul… but faith can and does.
The verdict is in…
Science – valuable
Faith – priceless